A Healthy Lunchbox
Suggestions and ideas for inspiration when preparing your childs food for the day.
Moving on from Bread:
Try bagels, wraps, multigrain sandwich crackers, pitta bread, hot cross buns, scones, scrolls or pikelets.
The Surprise Factor:
Okay, so your child will not budge from the vegemite sandwich. Introduce the unexpected by cutting their vegemite sandwich with a cookie cutter. It may well be the first step in understanding that variety is the spice of life.
The Leftovers Lunch:
Cook a little extra dinner the night before and save for lunch the next day. Roast chicken, pasta salad, quiche, homemade pizza slices and sausages are just a few examples that are delicious cold for lunch.
- Avocado & cream cheese
- Sliced cucumber topped with tinned tuna mixed with mayo
- Mashed egg and lettuce
- Tinned spaghetti or baked beans & cheese
- Ham & Pineapple
- Sliced apple sprinkled with cinnamon sugar
- Tomato, tinned beetroot & cheese
- Mashed banana
- Tinned creamed corn
- Ricotta, grated carrot & sultanas
- Vegemite & cheese
- Peanut butter & sliced banana or strawberries
- Leftover roasted meat with a smear of apple sauce
- Cream cheese, tinned tuna & baby spinach leaves
- Cream cheese with sliced strawberries
- Ham (or bacon), mashed egg & cheese
- Avocado, carrot & cucumber sticks rolled up in a slice of bread like sushi
- Finely sliced apple & mayo sprinkled with crushed walnuts
Fruit and Vegetables are Best:
Carrot, celery, cucumber, capsicum sticks, snowpeas, green beans, cherry tomatoes, grapes, apples, bananas, pears, strawberries, cut up cubed melon varieties, lychees, peaches, nectarines, oranges, mandarins, kiwifruit, mango….
Have you thought about?
Sushi, hardboiled eggs, homemade biscuits, muffins & muesli bars, yoghurt, dips, hummus…
More Ideas:Lunch Box Food Ideas
Some Important Notes
- Please do not pack your childs lunch in an insulated lunch bag.
- Involve your child in the food preparation, discussing what they like, ensuring they know not to eat all their food at morning tea, leaving little for lunch and nothing for afternoon tea.
- Make sure they have enough food for the day.
- Treat foods such as chocolates, lollies, chip packets, sweet biscuits & cakes are strongly discouraged at kindy and better left for consumption at home.
- Please be mindful that food will not be reheated at kindy for health and safety reasons.
- The centre provides spoon and forks.
- The children have chilled water available to them from the cooler.